Jessie's ticker

07 July, 2008

From the squishy section of CNN.com.

Today I read this. I was linked there by CNN.com. It was a refreshing change from the usual bombings, murders, kidnappings, and sports.

The part that got me? Friends differ from husbands or boyfriends, partnerships that are layered with complexities (physical and financial). A friendship is a unique, wonderful relationship that you choose to grow, cultivate and nurture.

I'm recently married and moved far, far away from my little support group. Sure we still have the phone and email. But we were in-person bonders.

I love my husband. He's a great guy. We have so much fun together! We talk about everything and laugh about even more.

But he doesn't have the foundation that Wendy and I built while rescuing Mickey and Minnie during recess in AM kindergarten. The knowledge of why "Russia or Bust" that The Group shares is a mystery to him. While I know he would play Girl Talk with me and that he did watch Return to Me and What's Up, Doc? are nice they're no comparison to telling Janalyn her landing gear is down and she's clear. (Remember the wonder that was your van in high school? [For the record I had no vehicle in high school. I envied Janalyn's car.]) Sure Jeremy is ticklish but we could tickle Finny from across the room. Speaking of Finny, "Look! A train!" And keep the apple juice away from MeLynn and Jill -- just in case.

In my new ward the part I dreaded the most was Relief Society. The rest of the week I would have Jeremy there to be my friend. During Relief Society I was surrounded by these women who were supposed to eventually be my friends. But I have nothing in common with them. They won't get my humor at first so I'm afraid to try. So during RS I would cry, quietly in the back row, surrounded by people I hoped wouldn't notice me.

I guess I'm trying to say I love my friends and the wonderful support they are. And that I'm glad I was called to be a Sunbeam teacher.

4 comments:

Jill and Andy said...

Oh, Jessie! It gets easier! I promise. I'm sure you will be a great Sunbeam teacher but don't turn away from your ward family! You'll need them. And I think they probably need your sense of humor. Everyone could use some of that. You don't have to be like everyone else. That what makes it interesting.
And I miss you too. I wish you could have been here for the sleepover.
BTW, Girl Talk isn't quite the same when most of the questions have to do with who your secret crush is and we all know it's your husband (or at least, it SHOULD be the husband...).

Jeramie said...

The first few months after a move were always the worst for me. Don't worry, I'm sure that you'll find your nitch soon. Open up, I know it's scary but it's a crime to hid your personality. You're too awesome! Start small, try your visiting teachers/teachees. After all, that's how we met. I'm here for you.

Sunbeams sound like so much fun. You'll be great!!

Angelfish said...

I miss my airplane! And I miss you even more!! I can't wait to get together in October!

Candice J said...

You're the Sunbeam Teacher!?!?! You get to corrupt the young ones!! Yeah!!!! I live near my friends and I still feel that way. Everyone gets caught up in their adult life, it's hard. BTW, who says my secret crush has to be my husband...